First part of the Grand RevDeBug Makeover – redesigning of the RevDeBug Prompts
At the beginning of this summer, I got the best task I could possibly get as a young graphic designer. I was supposed to not only beautify one of the most visible feature of RevDeBug, but also make it easier to understand. At first crack: the RevDeBug Prompts.
We decided to perform Guerrilla tests on some of our fellow programmers. But first things first – I had to prepare some mock-ups. Easier said than done. I thought, that I would make some png’s and my fellow back-end programmers will do the rest. Week of work, tops.
At this moment in my work folder there are 264 files, 44 folders and 119,2 MB of Prompts (with countless files in the trash can, and sheets of papers overflowing my desk).
But let me tell you the whole story. As you can possibly recall the Prompts looked like this:
So, as naive as I was, I started with creating some png’s. This one was the very first:
But then… “Maybe try with full border?”, “And what about background?”, “Did you try a different colour?”, “Thicker border?”, “Padding?”, “Margin?”, “Without border?”, etc. But the wise words where from Kamil Kupcewicz – “You know, you can draw a thousand of these, and in the end none will be good. ‘Cause all the magic happens when it MOVES.”
So I made GIF’s. In GIMP. For a couple of styles. And as you can probably imagine, it still was not enough. The prototyping on gif’s felt like hell. So this project kinda stopped, it took to long to implement new ideas.
So I created a web version of how RevDeBug looks, that allows to click on the arrows, so one can move backwards and forwards, showing and hiding hard-coded Prompts of chosen visual style. This RevDeBug demo allowed for great flexibility in evaluating new visual ideas. I could easily change theme of our overlays and of Visual Studio, enable of disable animations, show and hide variables’ names and more.
Perfect. With it creating new versions of Prompts was like snapping fingers. Therefore soon I had fourteen different visual styles to choose from. But it was too many to show on the Guerrilla test. So I asked fellow RevDeBug developers for help. With their knowledge and good advice we narrowed it down to four versions, enough to not overwhelm anyone.
Now the fun began. In the next couple of days I have conducted the interviews with our potential users. And what interviews they were! I have never imagined, that I would get so much feedback. The web demo of RevDeBug happened to be the best way to ask people of their opinion. It allowed them to interact with the program, and get a feel of how it would be to really work with it.
The objective of these interviews was to find one version of these four, to implement in RevDeBug as an only option. But the feedback I got was too diverse! One liked the fourth version, and despised the first, the other hated the fourth and loved the first. Some didn’t even though about the fourth, because the third one was the best. Others suddenly unlocked versions we have hidden and decided, that one of them was awesome, and we should consider it for the final version.
I had a tough decision to make as my job was to find the one that’s best. I have analysed all the opinions we got And thankfully I could see the interviewees at their workstations and how their environments looked like. And they all were different. This factor has given so much to the final outcome!
Speaking with all these software engineers showed me, how good GUI is important to them for comfortable work and diversity of answers has proven, that personalization to some extent is badly needed. In the newest version of RevDeBug (184.108.40.206) we have included first batch of visual changes. You can see for yourself what I have chosen as a default but you can change the looks yourself from Options window. With all of the feedback I got, you can anticipate more in near future.
And if you won’t find the style you are looking for reach me out at email@example.com
Stay tuned, so you won’t miss on next UI improvements!